Local 49’s jurisdiction is Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota. Click below to apply
Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota Online application for All Apprenticeships – Click Here
Steps to become an Local 49 apprentice
Qualifications to be considered for apprenticeship with Local 49:
- Minimum age of 18 years old.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must hold a high school diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Must pass an entrance examination as determined by the JAC. The test will be administered by a qualified employee of the Local 49 Training Center.
- Applicants that do not achieve a passing score on the entrance examination may re-test in seven days. There will be a six-month wait to re-test after two attempts have been made to pass the examination.
- Must be physically fit for work in the craft with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Fill out the online application.
- Once the online application is completed, you will receive an email that will outline directions for you to schedule the examination.
- Take the exam. In order qualify for apprenticeship, you will have to take and pass an entrance examination that covers basic reading, math, and measurement.
- Bring a valid driver’s license and a copy of your official high school diploma, GED or equivalent to the exam.
- Pass the exam and receive letter of eligibility for apprenticeship.
- The letter of eligibility for apprenticeship can be taken with you to contractors offices.
- You will be provided with a list of signatory contractors.
- Once you have been issued a letter of intent to hire from a signatory contractor, you will be indentured into the Local 49 Apprenticeship program.
- You will receive more information and training.