Job Title: Heavy Equipment (Logging) & Simulator Instructor
Job Summary : An instructor is responsible for teaching classes to journey-workers, apprentices and
pre-apprentices. To be successful in this position, an instructor must have proven experience working
with a wide variety of heavy equipment and be considered an industry expert on at least one piece of
equipment. A successful applicant will earn a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a
healthy benefits package.
Supervisory Responsibilities :
• An instructor will be directly responsible to oversee the members taking their classes.
Duties /Responsibilities :
• Teach a variety of classes to pre-apprentices, apprentices and journey-workers.
• Ability to learn, operate and teach with various training simulators.
• Travel with training simulators to various locations to teach and train members.
• Work closely with a supervisor to follow overall program goals.
• Ability to implement the curriculum plan as set forth by management personnel.
• Be willing and able to further acquire industry knowledge and teaching credentials as
determined by the director.
• Inform and alert a supervisor when there are any maintenance or repair issues with any
equipment or simulator.
Required Skills /Abilities :
• Possess verbal and written communication skills.
• Possess time management skills with ability to meet deadlines.
• Possess organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Strong desire and commitment to teach.
• Possess teamwork and leadership skills along with an ability to work collaboratively with others.
• Must minimally hold an active Health Card.
Education and Experience :
• Five (5) years of professional experience directly working in the forestry industry, operating logging equipment with background and knowledge with both cut-to-length and conventional systems.
• Five (5) years of professional experience operating dozers and excavators.
Job Requirements :
The instructor will play a significant role in directly training members of Local 49 and should be passionate about this and recognize training as a way to strengthen the Union membership. This position will work at the Training Center located in Hinckley, Minnesota, as well as travel to various locations in Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota to teach on training simulators when needed. The job requires a person who is focused on teamwork and is alert, outgoing and adept in their relations with all types of people(union members, business proprietors and full-time and seasonal instructors). They must demonstrate common sense, diplomacy, strong interpersonal skills and professionalism in both appearance and attitude at all times. Flexibility and willingness to be versatile is key, including teaching other classes as assigned. Good written and verbal communication skills are highly desirable. A valid driver’s license, basic computer skills, familiarity with Microsoft Word and Outlook are required. Individuals applying will be subject to a criminal background check. Final candidates will be interviewed by the hiring team, who will offer the position to the candidate of their choice. The ideal candidate must be considered an industry expert on at least one piece of equipment and have some experience working on the following equipment:
• Front End Loader
• Feller Buncher
• Log Loader
• Processor Ponsse
• Forwarder Ponsse
*EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER*
Email resume to email@example.com with the subject line of Simulator instructor